June 26, 2020
v4.9: Huge performance improvements, try version 5 preview
In Dark Reader 4.9.9 we've done enormous amount of performance improvements. The loading speed of some huge web pages has increased 5x times. Firefox users should now get nearly the same experience as Chrome users have.
That means the loading speed when Dark Reader is activated should be about the same as without it. For those users who have slow computers we will keep improving Static mode. Filter mode can be used as a workaround too.
Version 5 preview
We keep working on Dark Reader version 5 release. To make the transition smooth all engine improvements and new features are available in the current app instance.
To activate the new user interface do the following:
- Click Dark Reader icon.
- Click Dev tools (in the bottom-right corner).
- Click Preview new design.
Some of the most requested features are already available in version 4.9.11:
- Custom background, text and selection colors (under Theme click See all options, Colors).
- Ability to disable scroll bar styling (under Theme click See all options, Colors).
- Ability to disable the extension for PDFs (click Settings, Enable for PDF files).
- Easier way to find automation options (click Settings, Automation).
- Ability to import and export settings (click Settings, Manage settings).
Feel free to suggest a feature you cannot live without.
Dark Reader is free, but we need your support. There are several ways to do it.
Install our sponsor's extension Honey. Automatically search and apply coupon codes when you shop online. Trusted by 20,000,000 people.
Become a sponsor too.